On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 04:35:28PM -0600, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> I am still using squeeze - I want to jump the gun and upgrade to
> wheezy - Most likely problems would have to do with nvidia.
>
> Is anyone running wheezy today?  (down to 211 release critical bugs !! )

I'm running wheezy on all my machines except my server, with no problems.
My apt/sources.list ways 'testing' or 'wheezy'; I set it to that the day
sqeeze went stable.  But I'm using icewm and xfce as window managers.

I've tried upgrading my server from squeeze to wheezy several times and
have had horrendous diffculty.  My system resides on lvm over RAID.
squeeze's Lilo has trouble booting the wheezy kernel.  It seemms
that sonething is too big for it.  squeeze's grub manages.  If while
upgrading you don't establish bootablity of wheeze before the first
reboot, you/re stuck.  If you get past those hurdles, there are
others.  Finally, upgrading all the packages is dependency hell.

As I said, I tried twice last October to December.  Each time I had to
revert to squeeze (of whichh I still had an intact copy on other
partitions)

Maybe things are better now,  Maybe the upgrade problems are some of the
relese-critical bugs,  New installation, though, is easy, as long as you
don't have a lot of configuration infrastructure.

-- hendrik