> I think it was renamed.  No idea why.  modinfo nvidia-current should
> work though.

Yes, it does.

 Do you have the cuda libraries for the 319 version installed?

Yes

I don't play around with GPU computations, but from what I have read it
> does need a certain size job before the overhead of transfering the
> data and managing the GPU makse it worthwhile, but for large jobs the
> high core count and memory bandwidth makes a big difference.

500,000 atoms, as in my test, is a large system for unbiased molecular
dynamics. At any event, I looked at the the nvidia-cuda-toolkit version
5.0. nvidia for GPU Computing SDK, to build examples that should include a
bandwidth test, offers linux packages for Fedora RHEL Ubuntu OpenSUSE and
SUSE. No Debian. I had unpleasant experiences with Ubuntu packages, and it
is well known that Ubuntu, unlike LinuxMint, is not compatible with Debian.
Therefore, I did not try the cuda toolkit. I wonder why Ubuntu has so
widely replaced Debian among the mass. Sad, and somewhat irritating, for me.

I tried
francesco@gig64:~/tmp$ ls
CUDA-Z-0.7.189.run
francesco@gig64:~/tmp$ ./CUDA-Z-0.7.189.run
CUDA-Z 0.7.189 Container
Starting CUDA-Z...
/home/francesco/tmp/CUDA-Z-657a-580e-a8aa-0faa/cuda-z: error while loading
shared libraries: libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
francesco@gig64:~/tmp$ ls
CUDA-Z-0.7.189.run  libXrender.so.1
francesco@gig64:~/tmp$ ./CUDA-Z-0.7.189.run
CUDA-Z 0.7.189 Container
Starting CUDA-Z...
/home/francesco/tmp/CUDA-Z-a3db-49bf-8cb7-059d/cuda-z: error while loading
shared libraries: libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
francesco@gig64:~/tmp$

Actually the required lib is available, as shown by my copy into tmp. I
don't remember the source of this GNU CUDA-Z tool. Any experience with?

I have also met reports of unexciting experience with PCIe 3.0, that is
meager or no gain over PCIe 2.0, however it deals of people carrying out
games, which is different from NAMD molecular dynamics, where most is done
by the GPUs but AT EACH STEP energy has to be calculated by the CPU.

thanks
francesco pietra