Hello

Yes I agree with Hans, you can change the default runlevel to 2 which gives
you a terminal then when you are ready, run gdm3 (starts X automatically)
or 'sudo init 5' to load the default window manager.

Do some research into init runlevels and I think it will help you a great
deal with a lot of things.

Regards