Yes it can but you have to install differently.  That series of mac has
some different 32bit/64 bit EFI type issues.  It is best to use a regular
non EFI installer to install Linux on it.  I had a macbook with the same
type of issue.  The error you pasted is exactly the same one I encountered
when installers started incorporating the EFI installers.  I no longer have
that hardware so haven't done an install in some time so I can't tell you
where/ how to get an installer without EFI enabled.  Worst case, you could
do a minimal install of an older version and then dist-upgrade to the
latest version.  You could also do a chroot install from a bootable
livecd.  You should be able to find an installer with EFI disabled though.