On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, David Morse wrote:

> Maybe I apt-get remove'd apache, but forgot apache-common.  I'm pretty
> sure I didn't use a non-apt-get technique to remove.

apache-common doesn't contain the init script or the cronjobs so i don't
think this is relevant in our case.

> >>Hey, can you mail me the default /etc/init.d/apache ?
> >

> > It is inside the .deb. Just unpack it with dpkg. But i would suggest you
> > to use apt-get to remove/install packages other than dpkg.
> > Since you are installing try this:
> >
> > apt-get --purge remove apache-common
> > apt-get install apache
> >
> > and let me know if this will solve the problem
>
> No, it didn't, but on the other hand, extracting /etc/init.d/apache
> helped, so at least I'm rolling.

hmmm.. i am afraid there is something seriously inconsistent in your
system at this poing.

> Another potentially wierd thing in this setup, is that roxen2 is already
> running, and sitting on port 80.  (I intend to run apache on 8080,
> eventually).

this is not an issue... just change the Port/Listen entries in httpd.conf
other apache will refuse to start since port 80 is already in use.

> If you would like, you can get ssh access to the machine and poke around.

That would require me to have root access and to be able to perform tests
installing/removing apache and i doubt you can provide that (of course
you can than i will be glad to look at this problem [0]). But at this
point in time i don't think it is an apache bug at all but something
related to your system.

Fabio

[0] in case we can discuss this issue on private emails since there are
ways that can ensure you some safety while performig this operations.

--
Our mission: make IPv6 the default IP protocol
"We are on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

http://www.itojun.org/paper/itojun-nanog-200210-ipv6isp/mgp00004.html