On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 07:10:10AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > This thing has been discussed over and over. This is the last reference to
> > it:
> >
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=211889&archive=yes
> >
> > Since setting AddDefaultCharset off can imply security problem we will
> > never switch it to off. For more information please check the previous URL
> > and the apache documentation on httpd.apache.org
>
> I think the real bug here is in the html specification -- it says the
> server's setting overrides the document's setting, which just seems daft.
>
> My understanding of the security problem is that you need to always set
> _some_ charset encoding.  So I think it'd be a good idea to always set
> utf-8 rather than latin1 in new installations.

The reason why i didn't change default setting is because all the internal
error pages uses latin1 (AddDefaultCharset on) and i didn't want to create
a discrepancy between the config and the internal pages.

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.