tag 272069 wontfix
severity 272069 wishlist
stop

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:

> Package: apache
> Version: 1.3.31-6
> Severity: important
>
> #269009's usage of www-browser instead of lynx raised a new problem: Not
> all www-browser alternatives do support -dump.

This is a browser problem. Almost all the www-browsers support -dump. I
fail to see why it is an apache problem to work around it. A package that
offers an alternative should be capable to provide all the basic options
as the others.

> netrik e.g. does need
> --dump. Switching to --dump on the other hand would make w3m getting
> problems. I don't know for other browsers that do the www-browser
> alternative like (e)links, lynx supports both.

Well one of the 2 will have to switch. I am not dealing to implements 20
different exceptions because of this.

>  This needs to be addressed soon and should IMHO definitely go into
> sarge. What a clean solution is I don't really now. It would be great if
> w3m supports GNU-style options, but I don't think that that is going to
> happen soon.

I am leaving this bug open, but i don't believe it is our job to fix it so
for me it's a wishlist that i wontfix.

If you have valid arguments, I am wide open for discussion (that's why i
am not closing it), but to me looks like an inconsistency between
www-browsers that needs to be solved there.

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.