On Tuesday 17 June 2008, Paul wrote:
> Some times I have noticed the system is abit sluggish when I
> restart apache,  the main problem is with apache, it creates lots
> of child processes that refuse to die, the biggest problem is it
> then locks up the ports it is using and the only way to kill apache
> properly at the moment is to restart the whole system.

The init script uses graceful-stop, i.e. the currently active requests
will be finished before the apache processes are shut down. But this
should not cause the listening sockets to be unavailable. If you use
mod_php and your php scripts are executing other programs, you are
likely seeing this bug:

You can use lsof or "netstat -tlnp" (as root) to determine which
processes keep the listening sockets open. Does this fit your
problem?

Stefan