Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> This is wrong. apache2-data is an Architecture: all package,
> but apache2 is Architecture: any. So using ${source:Version}
> here is correct. Note that Debian does not currently support
> binNMUs for Architecture: all packages, so apache2-data will
> never have a +bX version.

Thanks for that clarification.

This is somewhat confusing for someone not doing package builds as a daily
profession: If just doing a "dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc" on the apache2 sources
_with_ the +bX extension, the apache2-data binary package _does_ get the +bX
extension as well, at least with my build, causing the issue that I described
initially.

Thus, as much as I think I've leaned so far, binNMU builds on source packages
that also produce Architekture: all binary packages must always be built
separately from sources without the +bX extension for the Architecture: all
binary packages, whereras the architecture-dependent binary packages may be
built from a source package with a +bX extension, right?

If this assumption is true, then why is the Debian build system (i.e.
dpkg-buildpackage) not smart enough to simply ignore an existing +bX extension
for Architecture: all binary packages? IMHO, this would simplify matters, as it
would have avoided the pitfall that I stumbled into altogether.

Please note that I my main goal is to better understand how to do it right for
future builds.