Package: apache2-dev
Severity: wishlist
User: reproducible-bui...@lists.alioth.debian.org
Usertags: randomness
Control: affects -1 mod-mono

Dear Maintainer,

I'm an occasional volunteer contributor to the Reproducible Builds[1] project,
and noticed recently that an Apache webserver module, mod-mono, that depends[2]
on the dh_apache2 debhelper utility from apache2-dev at build-time, failed an
automated Debian reproducibility test[3].

The problem appears to be related to the substitution of a NAMES variable
that appears in the templated pre/post scripts evaluated by dh_apache2; the
templates[4][5][6] are found in the 'apache2' source package.

I don't yet know exactly how the non-deterministic ordering of entries in the
NAMES variable occurs; however the replacement parameters[7] in the
dh_apache2.in script seem relevant, and tracing the creation of those may help.

Producing a value for the NAMES variable deterministically should I believe
allow the mod-mono package -- and any other Debian Apache module packages that
contain more than one named module -- to build reproducibily, in turn enabling
consumers of Debian to reliably rebuild a bit-for-bit identical .deb package
from source.

Regards,
James

[1] - https://reproducible-builds.org/