On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Wookey <woo...@wookware.org> wrote:

> +++ Mike Thompson [2012-03-22 10:50 -0700]:
> > My goal is that by time RPi hardware is shipping I hope to have enough
> RPi
> > compatible hard float packages built to create a minimal install using
> > debootstrap, install build-essential and perhaps a smattering of other
> packages
> > to demonstrate and experiment with performance improvements of hard float
> > compiled software.  Reviewing the packages needed to accomplish this, it
> will
> > probably involve compiling a minimum of 250 packages, but perhaps quite
> a bit
> > more to include build dependencies.  I would be using the armhf packages
> as a
> > starting point which will hopefully allow the compilations to go
> smoothly,
> > hopefully this isn't too ambitious.
>
> It's quite a lot of work, but there shouldn't be much breakage to deal
> with given the minor changes so it looks do-able to me.

Thinking this through a bit more I realize that whenever I build a package
that statically links against existing armhf libraries that the resulting
binaries will contain both armv6 (newly compiled code for hte package) and
armv7 code (anything pulled in from existing libraries).  This presents a
kind of chicken-and-egg problem.  To avoid this, the easiest solution is to
make sure that any package that is linked against another package I'll have
to make sure the package being linked against is pure armv6 code.

To accomplish creating all the packages for a minimal install of Debian
armhf, it means that not only do I need to rebuild all packages pulled in
by debootstrap, but all packages those packages link against (which can be
found by build-dep).  This will be an interesting exercise.

Hmm.  If there is another way around this, I don't see it.

Mike