On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 06:52:52PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
>Hi,
>
>If I set up a Debian Wheezy armhf environment, and build packages,
>why do those packages not work on Raspberry Pi ? The built package
>when run on the RPi errors out with "Illegal Instruction".

Simple: armhf is targeted at ARMv7 devices, but the RPi is an ARMv6
device. There's a lot of overlap in instructions, but the first time
your program tries to run an ARMv7 instruction the CPU will throw an
exception.

>I read about using the armel port, but given that RPi itself is such
>a low capable hardware, and then running something which isn't
>optimized for it, the overall output will be very inefficient.
>
>How do I build package optimized for RPI Raspian, on a Debian Wheezy box ?

Set up a chroot using just Raspbian binaries, and build/develop in
that. It should be possible to do things directly on the Wheezy
system, but you'd have to very careful to make sure no v7-only code
gets into your binaries and that's not very easy to do.

There are plenty of more capable ARMv7 devices around at costs similar
to the RPi now, so I'd recommend using one of those instead if you
have the choice.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                st...@einval.com
Google-bait:       http://www.debian.org/CD/free-linux-cd