I'm just going to comment on this bit here because I'm on the Ubuntu side of
things with a number of hats INCLUDING Ubuntu Backporters.

  *   I think (not sure anymore) Ubuntu-backports uses a meta-package like
linux-image-amd64-bookworm-backports.

No, this is incorrect.  You may be thinking specifically of cases where later
kernels are made available to the LTS releases as individual updates during the
point releases of LTS for Hardware Enablement - in those cases we have
`linux-image-generic-hwe` metapackage with updated kernels available, but those
are not considered "backports" in the same way Debian Backports would be.

In fact, the Ubuntu Backporters team **explicitly forbids** backporting of the
kernel or associated packages as you can see per our "special case" and
"forbidden packages" patterns here [1].  The HWE kernels in Ubuntu are
specially handled, and not 'backports' in the sense that it'd have the
Backporters groups touching it.  And that's ONLY for the LTS in Ubuntu.

So no, your statement that Ubuntu does this as backports is not correct.  It's
done by the Kernel team, and only for LTSes to enable later hardware
enablement, it is NOT just a "separate chain" of packages or Linux dependencies.

Sure, you can install numerous kernels yourself.  You can even install separate
kernel packages or compile your own.  It doesn't mean these're actually
"backports" nor something that should be considered for regular backporting,
etc. because even in Ubuntu the 'backported' kernels are heavily tested and
'special case' for the LTS release (which is different than Debian).

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBackports#Forbidden_packages

Thomas
Ubuntu Developer
Ubuntu Backporter