Hi Bruce,

Am 13.08.24 um 21:40 schrieb Bruce Steedman:
I'm new to Debian Backports so apologies in advance for any faux pas.
I'm new to the role of the backports team delegates, so bear with me if I'm asking stupid questions in return as well. :)
I'd like to see rust-all (rustc + dev tools) backported as the stable version does not allow me to build Firefox (1.67+ required). I'll be happy to create and maintain the backport package myself if necessary.

Are you sure this is the only build dependency that would need to be backported in order to build Firefox?

Also, why do you want to backport it? Apparently the version available in bookworm seems to be fairly well maintained (i.e. in sync with trixie) via security uploads.

That being said, I am a bit reluctant to allow a newer rust toolchain to enter backports. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of backports?

I've applied for an RT account and would like to know the next step - create an RT ticket? I read that I need a sponsor so all feedback gratefully received.

I am sorry, I can't help here yet. I still need to find my way on that end. I hope someone else will step in here faster than me.

Kind regards,
Micha