Micha,

On Sunday, September 29, 2024 2:00:58 AM MST Micha Lenk wrote:
> To me it is unclear why this needs to be included as backport.
>
> Please make your case in advance on the debian-backports mailing list in
case
> you believe the package is eligible for backports.

I can see why it wouldn’t be obvious why a font should be backported.  Please
let me explain.

fonts-adobe-sourcesans3 is used by one part of Electrum called Revealer.
Revealer is designed to print sensitive information in an encrypted manner for
offline storage.  It does this by producing two graphics that look like random
noise.  These can be printed and stored in separate physical locations.  When
the two graphics are overlaid on top of each other and a light is shown
through them, the interference pattern reveals the text of a secret (which can
be the seed of a cryptocoin wallet or any other information that needs secure
offline storage).

The upstream Electrum project ships fonts-adobe-sourcesans3 in their tarball,
but for DFSG reasons it has been removed from the Electrum package.  If fonts-
adobe-sourcesans3 is not present on a system, a different font will be used.
Sometimes those other work well, but some fonts don’t work very well with the
random noise images used by Revealer, making it difficult to read the secret
text.

The current version of Electrum in testing suggests fonts-adobe-sourcesans3.
I would like to backport that version to bookworm once fonts-adobe-sourcesans3
is available in bookworm-backports.

--
Soren Stoutner
so...@debian.org