On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 07:21:54PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > or it can just run the wrapper /usr/sbin/yabootconfig -q -t
> > =2E.. without bothering with the environment variable it doesn't really
> > matter what way we do it, whichever you think makes most sense.  i
> > think the wrapper should be there for point 1 alone anyway... =20
>
> I'd use the wrapper.
>
> Is anyone working through the dbootstrap patch or should I hack on that?

i was looking at the code yesterday, i would suggest changing the
PLILO thing to simply QUIK, and create a new yaboot function for
installing yaboot.   then its just a matter of calling the right one
depending on Arch3.

Stephen Marenka mentioned having some preliminary patches already, we
should probably look at that first to avoid any effort duplication.

one other side issue, do we plan to support IBM CHRP hardware?
(RS/6000 and such) these machines also use yaboot, but install it a
bit differently.  yabootconfig and ybin already support that.  the
difference dbootstrap is interested in is they use msdos disklabels
and a type `0x41 PPC PReP Boot' bootstrap partition, yaboot is
directly dded to it (mkofboot does that).

however the 64 bit versions of this hardware needs a yaboot compiled
for them specifically, the yaboot package currently does not do that,
and yabootconfig does not yet know about using different versions of
yaboot.  (i would really prefer to get yaboot fixed to work on both
machines.. the only difference is a tiny fragment of ppc asm to force
the thing into 32 bit mode)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/