Vladimir N. Oleynik wrote:

>Erik Andersen wrote:
>
>>On Tue Jul 03, 2001 at 02:17:06PM -0400, David Douthitt wrote:
>>
>>>I've followed the discussion (somewhat) on different shells.  I'm
>>>wondering what the difference is, and in particular, is ash going to
>>>absorbed into busybox or what?
>>>
>>>What are the differences between:
>>>
>>>* ash
>>>* hush
>>>* lash
>>>
>>>Any others I missed?  (probably...)
>>>
>>In cvs we currently have lash, hush, msh, ash.  For all size comparisons
>>below, I am leaving BB_FEATURE_COMMAND_EDITING disabled.  Enabling it will
>>add about 8k to the size of each shell.
>>
>>lash: very small (adds just 10k) and quite usable as a command prompt, but it
>>    is not suitable for any but the most trivial scripting since it does not
>>    understand Bourne shell grammer.  It does handle pipes, redirects, and
>>    job control though.  Adding in command editing makes it quite nice as
>>    a command prompt.
>>
>>hush: Also quite small (just 18k) and it has very complete Bourne shell grammer.
>>    It handles if/then/else/fi just fine, but doesn't handle loops like for/do/done
>>    or case/esac and such.  It also currently has a problem with job control.
>>
>>msh: The minix shell (adds just 30k) is quite complete and handles things like
>>    for/do/done, case/esac and all the things you expect a Bourne shell to do.  It
>>    is not always pedantically correct about Bourne shell grammer (try running
>>    the shell testscript, tests/sh.testcases, on it and compare vs bash), but for
>>    most things it works quite well.  It also uses only vfork, so it can be used
>>    on uClinux systems.  I just added this, so there is still room to shrink
>>    it further...
>>
>>ash: This adds about 60k in the default configuration (I need to review vodz'
>>    latest update, perhaps he has made it smaller again) and is the most complete
>>    and most correct shell included with busybox.  This was also recently added,
>>    and both Vladimir and I have been working on it.  There are a number of
>>    configurable things at the top of ash.c as well.  The Posix math stuff is
>>    currently disabled, but I intend to fix it up when I get some time.
>>
>>Both msh and ash were very recently added to CVS, and so neither of these
>>shells supports the STANDALONE_SHELL option yet.

So if busybox ash had math support would it be a posix compatable shell, or would
there be other issues as well ?

The root disk of debian boot floppies has ash from the deb (which is 85kB) as opposed
to ash from busybox, which from current CVS adds 67kB.

boot floppies expects a posix compatable shell for various scripts, debootstrap being
one of them.

Glenn