On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Frans Pop ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > What policy have we been following for this for other languages?
> > The README currently says "but if you know the installer will never
> > have a message containing a given character (such as the Euro sign),
> > please leave it out to save space", but maybe we should add that
> > characters directly available through keyboards are OK?
>
> As the README says, the policy was set for characters meant to be
> *displayed*.
>
> But, as you say, since that policy was setup, there have been more
> places where input of non ASCII characters indeed makes sense (IIRC,
> the policy was established when we still had two stages, so for
> instance, the username was type in 2nd stage).

Yes, we had a lot less text entry in general when the policy was written.

> So your proposal to add to this all characters that are potentially
> typed on various keymaps makes sense.

Well, I would limit it to characters that are actually printed on the top
of keys of keyboards. I know that a lot of keymaps define extra
characters on "free" spaces but I see no need to allow to include those
as well.

I think we'll also have to ask languages using "symbol" (?) based scripts
to show restraint and use common sense in their selection of characters
to add.

I will add the remaining characters for Dutch and update the README.
Could you announce the policy change on d-i18n and possibly update your
D-I translators guide?

Cheers,
FJP