On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 18:03:16 +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

> There were plans  to *use* console-setup in D-I instead of kbd-chooser
> and console-data udebs. They would have resulted in  c-s being used on
> the installed system as well.
>
> There is even a wiki pakge in the DebianInstaller tree about this.
>
> The plan choke on two things, so far:
>
> - i18n of the keymap questions (keymap names), which would be a
> regression

Would the existing translations from xkeyboard-config be useful there,
or would we need to start all over?  Granted, that's probably not as
widely translated as d-i.
Anyone knows how ubuntu handled this?  I hear they use c-s already.

> - having someone really caring about this *and* being skilled enough
> in those things to be able to  commit self to conduct the transition
> *and* maintain c-s afterwards

OK.  I don't really know what's involved in maintaining c-s, and I
expect my free time will shrink in the next months (and X is enough of a
big beast to make me not want to take on anything else), so I'm not
volunteering, but I'd be happy to help whoever does.

> So, I think that everybody agrees on the *principle*...now we need to
> find the resources to actually do it.
>
> and that would make me very happy as the current mess of
> console-tools, console-common, kbd and console-data is a nightmare,
> particularly considering that most of these are in maintenance mode.

Thanks for the summary of the situation.

Cheers,
Julien