On Dec 29, 2008, at 4:43 PM, Frans Pop wrote:

Powerpc is very definitely losing its user base (just compare the number of macbooks (ppc based!) you see now at conferences with what you saw 3
or 4 years ago.

Actually, "MacBook" is the name for the Intel-based Apple laptops.
The PowerPC based laptops were called "iBook" (and some other things, but generically they were all "iBook"s).

I only go to one conference a year ("LISA" -- Large Installation Systems Administration, run by USENIX) but the number of Apple based laptops I see in use by the gathered SysAdmins doesn't change much from year-to-year.

Nevertheless, quibbles aside, when Apple dropped the PowerPC, it was a big blow to the availability of relatively inexpensive consumer- grade PowerPC hardware. And this will result, over time, in a drop in demand for the ppc Debian port.

Time marches on.

I'm only a user and a tester, so I don't get to vote, but I'd go for the increased utility of dropping ppc from the multi-arch/multi- desktop DVD-1. In exchange, I'd like to see a PPC-only DVD-1 with the same functionality.

But then, I've got good Internet connectivity, so I can afford to download two separate DVD images if I need to. I can also afford to install from a Businesscard image and get what I need from a nearby mirror. So maybe you should be taking to somebody in India or Uganda about this.

Anybody out there with limited Internet bandwidth want to comment?

My two cents,

Rick