reassign 565511 initramfs-tools 0.93.4
retitle 565511 ext4.ko module missing from "dep" initramfs
thanks

On Saturday 16 January 2010, ael wrote:
> On further investigation, I find that
>   /lib/modules/2.6.30-2-686/kernel/fs/ext4/ext4.ko
> is missing from the initramfs.
>
> I assume that this explains the failure. I do now seem to remember
>   choosing a "slim" initrd during installation.

That's the problem. The ext4 module *would* have been included if you'd
selected the standard initrd.

> Going into rescue mode, I could not find any way to revert to a "full"
> initrd.

Just edit the initramfs-tools configuration file in /etc for the installed
system to use 'MODULES=most' and then regenerate the initrd (see 'man
update-initramfs').

> I could not see any bug about this against linux-image-2.6.30-2-686. I
> assume it generates initrd?

No, the package is initramfs-tools. Not sure that it is a bug though.
I'm reassigning your report because maybe initramfs-tools should be
detecting that ext4 is needed in this case. We'll let its maintainer
decide.

> So it seems that while the installer supports ext4, the installed target
> system initrd does not.

Only because you used an expert option without knowing the consequences or
knowing how to fix it. You really should have stuck to the default!

> So I guess that I will have to compile my own kernel on the target and
> then change to ext4 via the rescue mode (it's the root partition) later.

That's absolutely not necessary. You only need to get ext4 included in the
initrd.

Cheers,
FJP