On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 10:31:00AM -0400, Charlie Kelly wrote:
> Package: installation-reports
> Severity: normal
>
> I had many problems with the install process but the above mentioned is the
> most critical as it prevents me from doing anything else after install. I
> can't add a single package, for instance, because the password doesn't work.
> I don't know what else to say about the bug. The installer asks for a root
> password, and I supply one. Next the installer asks for the name of the user,
> which I type. Then the installer asks for a username, which I provide. Then
> the installer asks for the password for that user, and I type one. That's it,
> there's four steps to the whole "adding username" process. Nowhere does it
> ask whether the user should be able to get root access (he/she should, being
> the only user!). So, after completing the install and booting into the
> system, it does not allow you to login as "root", but logging in as the
> primary user gives you a system that is "semi-usable"; that is, I can use
> everything, but I can't install, update, I can't even do a simple "sudo dpkg
> -i". Very frustrating.

I certainly disagree.  I do NOT want sudo access setup for my user.
I hate sudo.  Debian has fortunately never done this by default,
although I believe (from what I have read) that if you don't give a root
password at all then it instead makes the first user have sudo access.
I have never tried that though.

> Other problems I had with the install process are as follows:
> 1. Wireless network detection failed. I have a T60 and required the iwl3945
> driver. I had this driver on a flashdrive and installed it in a live session
> terminal with "dpkg -i". Only after doing so could my system access the
> internet. Then I performed the install.
>  However, the installer would not detect a network no matter what. Even the
> manual method would not work. Maybe this was because I was using the
> aforementioned driver? I don't know.
>  Furthermore, if I tell it to connect to so-and-so network, it asks for a
> password, but only a WEP-key is supported! What?! Really it's 2011 and the
> installer doesn't even know that WPA exists? What about WEP password instead
> of WEP hex key? At any rate, so I had much trouble getting the system to
> connect. I finally just removed encryption from my wireless router, but still
> the installer seemed to fail to connect, and on the first boot it didn't
> appear to connect to DHCP.

There is an "unofficial" non-free installer CD that includes non-free
firmware such as the iwl3945 requires.  Perhaps that one would work
without manual intervention.

As for WEP versus WPA, no idea.  I have only ever done installs using
wired ethernet.  Wifi is too flacky for me to trust for an installation
where a network outage could make you have to start over.

> 2. Within the live terminal or within the system following install, doing a
> "Restart" results in an endless loop. It does not shut down the system, it
> simply logs out, then appears to restart the kernel, then presents the login
> screen again. It does not really restart the computer. Only using "Shutdown"
> will perform a hard reboot.

Weird.  Never seen any behaviour like that.

--
Len Sorensen