On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 12:29:35PM -0800, John wrote:
> Hello!
> I recently switched to Debian 6.x from another distribution for my "business"
> pc's operating system and am very pleased with it. I had been using Mandriva
> 2010.0 with a few upgrades from source, but the leadership of Mandriva, KDE
> (v. 4) and Gnome (v. 3) have disappointed me.
>
> DESKTOP PREFERENCES: I really liked the Gnome 2 desktop and would quit Gnome
> altogether if they don't bring back the panel functions and layout of version
> 2. Get the date and time out of the center of the panel and let users put
> icons there. I hope that you will continue to include Gnome 2 (or it's fork)
> in your future releases. Likewise, I was very pleased with KDE 3 and very
> much dislike the cycle-wasting useless bloat of KDE 4, and like LXDE as an
> excellent light alternative.
>
> PROBLEM 1: The partitioning code of the installer doesn't do Linux Volume
> Manager setup right. The setup should first allow partitions of a disk to be
> created or added as part of a Linux volume, and then the volume should appear
> as a disk space to be partitioned. The SECOND STEP CANNOT OCCUR the way your
> software is presently written. After the desired partitions are assigned to a
> Linux volume, the partitioning software complains that the root partition
> does not exist. Of course not! It is supposed to be in the Linux volume that
> is being created. If the Linux volume were then shown as a disk space to be
> partitioned, THEN I could put the root partition and other partitions in that
> Linux volume which spans the two disks I would assign to the Linux volume.
> See how Mandriva does it in v. 2010.0, first assigning physical partitions to
> a Linux volume and then showing the Linux volume as a space to create
> partitions like /, /swap and /home in. This is what your
>  partitioner should do, so Linux volumes can be created without grief.

As I recall, when you configure LVM, it is a submenu of the partitioner,
and when you return the LVM volumes show up as partitionable entries.
At no point does it complain about no having a root partition defined.

> PROBLEM 2: Your hardware setup is generally very good, but recent changes in
> video detection and setup by Linux developers mess up in handling older video
> cards/chips and monitors. As a result, Debian 7.1.0 has a correct-resolution
> correct-refresh setup for my monitor for installation, but sets my video
> improperly for regular use. I think the video refresh is set too high. It
> produces some "snow" on my CRT monitor and just doesn't look right, and there
> doesn't seem to be any graphic tool in Gnome 3 to change these settings. Some
> code in the installation to let the user select the desired screen video
> settings would be nice. If that isn't available, upgrading to Debian 7 isn't
> such a good idea. You can do the right video settings---the installation
> display proves it. Just leave it as is if it's satisfactory.

X setup is pretty much automatic these days and doesn't even need a
config file anymore unless you want to override what X does automatically.
Not an installer issue anyhow, since that is managed by X.

> PROBLEM 3: The boot code should set up the firewall according to user choices
> during installation, and then should run automatically, with an
> administrative tool to change those settings if desired. The following is a
> minor inconvenience to me, and there may even be a good reason why you do it
> this way. The firewall I've been using is Firestarter, nice and simple, but
> required to be run manually by a regular user after logging in and entering
> the root password. A user who starts Firestarter (and has automatic rights to
> run other root-only programs) can't simply log out, but must re-enter the
> root password to log out or shut down. This is silly. On a multi-user system,
> a person should be free to log out, and if there's only a single regular user
> who started Firestarter as root, that user should be free to shut down the
> whole system.

Well you could install and configure shorewall.  It has no problem
starting at boot.

The Debian installer sets up a minimal system.  A firewall hardly
qualifies as a minimal system thing.

--
Len Sorensen