Cyril,

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Cyril Brulebois <k...@debian.org> wrote:

> Control: retitle -1 installation-reports: /root directory deleted when
> re-installing
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Paul Hardy <unifoun...@gmail.com> (2013-09-21):
> >
> > Comments/Problems:
> >
> > My system experienced a Linux kernel panic while compiling a source
> > package, after which the system would not re-boot.  I re-installed
> > Debian using Debian's graphical installation tool.  I indicated to the
> > installer that I wanted to leave existing files in place.  Following
> > this, I saw that files in /home and some other directories were left
> > untouched (as desired), but the /root directory was completely wiped
> > out and replaced....
>

> sorry to hear about that. May I suggest you use the rescue mode next time
> anyway, instead of installing Debian over your installation? It would
> certainly would have been quicker to remount the correct partition(s) and
> fix e.g. your kernel and/or grub, than reinstalling and risking bad stuff
> for the existing file system(s).
>
> Mraw,
> KiBi.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I only re-installed the system because I was in
the process of setting up a new system so I was starting almost from
scratch.  I could have spent more time hunting down why the system was no
longer booting following a kernel panic.  I had already customized things
in /root though, and leaving /root intact is something that would also come
up during upgrades of course.

Paul Hardy