This started happening to me recently, not sure what change could be to blame
but I found a lengthy thread on the ubuntu bug tracker that seems to confirm
things. Copying the relevant post:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1508146/comments/66

---

In my case, I traced the issue to the keyboard-configuration package postinst
script, which ends up calling 'setupcon --force --save' which in turn calls
'kbd_mode -u'

To reproduce:
sudo apt install --reinstall keyboard-configuration

setupcon documentation states:
"--force Do not check whether we are on the console. Notice that you can be
forced to hard-reboot your computer if you run setupcon with this option and
the screen is controlled by a X server."

It looks like the checks to avoid this behavior while a graphic environment is
active don't work in the context of the installer.

---

In any case they've found 'sudo kbd_mode -s' to be a workaround.