Dear all,

I saw earlier today that the Debian buster freeze has become [1]. I
also saw that the alpha 4 release last month [2] and the errata
published with it [3] . I would probably share both the free and
non-free versions [4]

I wanna give a call to people to ask for wider testing via itsfoss.com
[5] using installation reports [6] but unsure when to give a call.

I did have a look at the bug list via udd [7] and at least to my naive
understanding it seems something like 473 bugs need to be fixed after
which buster can be good to go which either means that the packages
are fixed or they are dropped from buster and can live in
sid/experimental indefinitely.  I am/was also wondering if there are
any working release notes such as the ones released with stretch [8].

The release notes would probably cover hardware architectures which
would be the same as in stretch. The main big thing would be
secure-boot testing [9] new versions of most software as shared in
stretch release, for e.g. debian-mate would be 1.20 while lxqt-desktop
may be the new member (0.13.0/0.14.0 in buster [NEW?]) with still some
bug-fix updates to go and GNOME 3.22.

Instead of 50k packages it probably would be in the range of 80k
packages if my reading is not incorrect, between 28319 and 29460
source packages with anywhere between 90% to 72% reproducible builds
[10]. I have no clue about number of languages supported hence dunno
if it would be safe to assume that 75 languages would be supported (or
less ? ) .

$ aptitude search '!-dbgsym$' | wc -l
77060

I would be basing my blog post on similar style as the release notes
shared at time of Stretch with maybe few packages which I love, like
and have shared about in the past in itsfoss.com.

Please let me know of any discreprency at my end. I do know and
understand that during freeze packages would need to ask for freeze
exception and depending upon how it affects the debian-archive the
debian ftp-master may either allow or disallow the same.

Please help me so I can help in asking people to do test and
pre-release parties and take a crack at things and report if things go
well or not.

I included Laura as head of debian-publicity she might be looking to
take a crack at it as well and agaida as he might know if 0.13 or 0.14
are they targeting for buster.

1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/01/msg00008.html
2. https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/buster_di_alpha4/amd64/
3. https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata