Hi,

Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org> wrote (Thu, 25 Jul 2024 21:35:05 +0100):
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2024 at 21:28, Holger Wansing <hwans...@mailbox.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Luca,
> >
> > I just worked on translating the message strings for systemd-boot-installer
> > into German.
> >
> > I stumbled on this message:
> >
> > #. Type: select
> > #. Description
> > #. :sl3:
> > #: ../systemd-boot-installer.templates:3001
> > msgid "Number of retries per boot entry (0 to disable):"
> > msgstr ""
> >

> > I wonder, if this can/should be extended somehow:
> > "Number of retries" - what happens there multiple times?
> > Does the system try to boot multiple times in case of failures, or ... ?
> >
> > And what is "disabled" ?
> > What does not happen then (or what happens instead) if function is disabled?
> >
> > Sorry, that I did not catch this before!
>
> I should probably add a link to:
>
> https://systemd.io/AUTOMATIC_BOOT_ASSESSMENT/
>
> where everything is explained in detail. Disabled means just that,
> this logic is disabled.

We will probably need to change the message, so that translators (and users)
get a chance, to know what the question is talking about :-)
Will see...

> Speaking of translations, do you happen to know why this bot keeps
> switching back from systemd-boot to grub? I've fixed a couple of times
> but it keeps putting it back:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/systemd-boot-installer/-/commit/1ef1943af2ec6ce383c3dd9f57e1526df1eee096

This is normal. The 'bot' is just doing its job :-))

The debian-installer is different compared to other packages, when it comes
to translations.
There is a script ("l10n-sync", you call it "the bot") running daily and
managing all the translations files (po files) for all packages belonging
to the installer (systemd-boot-installer is also a part of this group).

The translator people are not working on the packages directly (for example,
they don't work on po files in/from systemd-boot-installer), but on the
so-called D-I PO MASTER FILES.
You can find them here:
https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/d-i/-/tree/master/packages/po?ref_type=heads

The messages from systemd-boot-installer can be found in the po files
within sublevel3.

That's the files, where translators (or package maintainers as you :-) )
can insert changes.
Those changes are then injected into the packages during the following night.

In other words: the only "user" who is allowed to change the po files in
your package, is "the bot" (named l10n-sync, running on dillon)!

BTW: every po file in your package has a big fat warning at the top of
the file saying

# THIS FILE IS GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY FROM THE D-I PO MASTER FILES
# The master files can be found under packages/po/
#
# DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE DIRECTLY: SUCH CHANGES WILL BE LOST

So, the bot is correct :-p

Regards
Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwans...@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076