On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:44:48AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Package: netcfg
> Severity: wishlist
> Tags: d-i
>
> The current order is not really natural :

I would like to propose this change;

> -IP address
> -Netmask
> -Gateway
  -DNS servers
> -Machine name
> -Domain name
>
> Bill, feel free to comment as you are the one who motivated me to make this
> BR..:-)

My point is that we should ask the most important information first.  If
you access a Debian archive on the same LAN you only need IP address and
netmask. Once d-i know IP address, it can guess default value for
'Netmask' and 'Gateway' (as it does already).

If we want to access the Debian mirror we need the DNS server.
Machine name and Domain name are not needed at this stage, and
a lot of people don't have a Domain name.

The order I propose is more in line with usual practice, be in software
or in document (the sheet given by the sysadmin with the network info).

Cheers,
--
Bill. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Imagine a large red swirl here.