James Bromberger wrote:
> So its not looking for /dev/cdrom as the device, but for the (devfs
> style name) /dev/cdroms/0?

That's right.

I see that the /dev dump you attached does include a /dev/cdroms/cdrom0.
If the cdrom detect step is still failing it's because of some other
problem. Seems to me that since this is a USB cdrom, it all comes back
to the installer not knowing to load usb-ohci for your usb controller,
and not loading usb-storage. I expect the cd detect step should work
once the appropriate usb modules are loaded.

> > BTW, sr_mod will be available on the CD's in a couple of days.
> > > The tg3 network interface I have is detected, but running udhcpc fails.
>
> Can I ask for tg3 NIC driver as well? (These machines have dual tg3
> gigabit NICs in them)

The tg3 module is on the CD, but not on the initrd. The installer needs
to find the cdrom or a floppy before that module will be available.

> However, without lspci available, I can't see whats on the system. I get
> the glibc error message as shown when I try and use a current unstable
> binary for it. How canI get around this? What is the exact version of
> glibc I need to use here? Do I need to use a uDeb from somewhere?

The contents of /proc/pci are just as good for the purpose of trying to
figure out what the PCI ID of your usb controller is.

>   Bus  0, device  15, function  2:
>     USB Controller: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller (rev 5).
>       IRQ 7.
>       Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Max Lat=80.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfebfe000 [0xfebfefff].

Here we go!

Please send the contents of /proc/bus/pci/devices from this system.

--
see shy jo