On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 09:45:14PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > Saddly, it is as i have feared, that the package will be accpepted on
> > the eve of me going out for christmas and being offline until monday the
> > 29. But well, this is the disorganized way debian works, and we have to
> > make do.
> >
> > So, i will try to fix this evening and tomorrow morning, but i would

Saddly, i was not able to work on this yesterday nor this morning.

> > appreciate if other persons interested in the debian port would also
> > look at it after that, in particular to make sure that i didn't break
> > stuff on non chrp hardware.
>
> Do I need to turn on powerpc udeb building in linux-kernel-di now? This
> will involve yet another trip through NEW, though with luck a ftpmaster
> will be available.

Yes, please. If you do that, i will fix the post processing that is
needed making builtin initrd kernels.

Basically, we need to install the following packages :

  kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-chrp
  kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-chrp-rs6k
  kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-pmac
  kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-prep
  kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-small-pmac

These ones are for the kernels. the chrp, chrp-rs6k and prep will
contain vmlinuz-2.4.22-powerpc kernels, and both -pmac ones will contain
vmlinux (and vmlinux.coff, but we can ignore this one for now). The
-small-pmac is needed for the miboot/oldworld floppy target someone
needs to work on.

Then you need to get :

  kernel-modules-2.4.22-powerpc
  kernel-modules-2.4.22-powerpc-small

Which contains the modules for the -powerpc kernels above and/or the
-powerpc-small ones. Notice that this means building two different
initrds, since to make the kernel smaller, we removed lot of stuff that
may be needed. Also the floppy target initrd needs to fit on a floppy.

And finally, there is need to install the :

  kernel-build-2.4.22-powerpc

Which i will use in a later step to build the kernel with builtin
initrd. this package contains a tarball, which once uncompressed is able
to build the initrd kernels. There is a very basic script in the
toplevel of the tarball which allows you to do that. If i remember well,
you just pass it the path of the initrd and it will build you all the
builtin initrd kernels. ONly problem remaining, but this is a kernel
problem, is that the bigger initrd is still problematic on chrp, but i
need to look into this more. Difficult stuff though.

> > Also, i have a problem concerning the devfs stuff. There is a (generic)
> > bug in the kernel, which makes the /proc/partitions show the devfs path
> > even if devfs is not mounted. This is problematic, since altough the
> > tools will be able to handle that, it will really be confusing for the
> > users.
>
> That bug was also present in the (2.4) kernel shipped with woody, AFAIK.

Yeah, but if i remember well, the devfs was not compiled in in 2.4, and
thus the bug was not present.

I have a patch fixing this, but i don't know how it behaves when devfs
is mounted.

> > Now, would it make sense to postpone the beta2 to a more reasonable
> > date (january 11 for example), or do we drop powerpc support for the
> > beta2 and release a beta3 shortly thereafter ? A December 31 beta2
> > release date would be ok also, since i will be again here the 29 and 30,
> > and be able to fix stuff if needed.
>
> I would like to wait and see how the powerpc stuff turns out. If you can
> get it back in shape in the next few days, I think we could perhaps
> still manage a release before Jan 1st. If it slips to the middle of

That would be fine, since i will have time for this on december 29 & 30
for it full time.

> january, I will be away a week around the 6th-14th (limited time for d-i
> them), which won't be good. We seem to be in good shape otherwise,
> though it needs a lot more testing.

Yeah, that we need.

Thanks for postponing, i will make all my possible for us to be ready
for it.

BTW, how did the autopartkit/libparted problem turn out finally ? I have
gotten no more info about it from Petter.

Friendly,

Sven Luther