On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 12:28:20PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > > netinst CD images do not work for any powerpc subarch, because they
> > > don't have usable kernels on them. Also, the kernel images have a broken
> > > postinst that does not set up the /vmlinux symlink for yaboot. And
> >
> > This is because kernel-package is utterly broken, and i had to severly
> > hack into it. Like said, Manoj won't consider the special case presented
> > by having separate modules and image in two .deb until after the sarge
> > release, so i have to hack around this. Keeping the symlink creation
> > thingy caused errors in the install, and d-i died horribly because of
> > it, since kernel-package is not debconfified, and it cannot work around
> > this minor brokeness.
>
> When can I expect a fixed kernel-image package for powerpc? Please
> upload with urgency=high so it goes into testing ASAP.

No, i wont upload a new package until tomorrow, and that the current
package goes into testing. Anyway, the current situation is installing
the -apus kernel because base-installer doesn't seem to be able to fall
back the 2.4.22 one, but silently takes the first powerpc kernel available.

Also, Colin said he would have a look at this this evening, so we will
know tomorrow about it. I think maybe it would be more interesting to
fix yaboot-installer instead so it doesn't rely on the symlink being
present, but fall back to using the real kernel in case the symlink is
missing, this would add more robustness to the whole process.

Friendly,

Sven Luther