On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:19 +0200, pelle wrote:
> Ideally the network script should only do this if it is invoked from
> withing debian-installer. Perhaps put a special network script in the
> udeb, or add the code with some kind of check so that it is not
> activated on a real Debian system. Shouldn't be too problematic
> really.

What is problematic, though, is Cardbus cards. I borrowed one today
and it didn't work with d-i. cardmgr doesn't configure these cards, it
lets hotplug handle them instead, and d-i doesn't use hotplug. This is
not a big problem however since discover can detect these cards if you
just start cardmgr first, so it's easily fixable.

The real problem is the installed system. cardmgr doesn't bring up
Cardbus network interfaces, and neither does
/etc/init.d/networking. hotplug used to bring up these interfaces but
does not do that anymore by default. As is described in
/usr/share/doc/hotplug/README.Debian, you need to add something like
this to /etc/network/interfaces:

mapping hotplug
        script grep
        map eth1

So d-i would have to generate this for these cards, I guess. I'm not
sure how you determine whether a specific network interface belongs to
a Cardbus card or a 16-bit card, though.

--
Pelle