Alexander Winston wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 09:26 +0700, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I still have no clue on why "country/province" information is
>> technically needed. Sure, "language" is needed, and so does "time zone",
>> "keyboard", etc. But for what is "country"?
>
> It is probably for distinguishing the different dialects of languages.
> For example, there is American English, Australian English, British
> English, Canadian English, Chinese English, Danish English, Indian
> English, Irish English, Motswana English, New Zealand English,
> Philippine English, Singapore English, South African English, and
> Zimbabwean English. That, at least, is according to GNU libc. :)

Yeah, and as I said elsewhere, "Country" is a stupid way to distinguish. If
we're really getting into dialects, there's *way* more than that, and they
*don't* follow country borders.  Unfortunately, we're kind of stuck with it
at the moment, because we'd have to change a *lot* of programs.

We can't just rename it "Dialect", because "Country" is also used for the
choice of currency symbol, separators in numbers, etc.  Bleh.  :-)

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/