Quoting Martin Michlmayr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> * W. Borgert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-05-27 19:33]:
> > Well, the installer runs from the CD, while the installed
> > kernel runs from the USB hard-disk and has to work with the
> > initrd...  I don't know, but maybe there's the problem.
>
> So what does the kernel print before it dies?

IIRC, it was sth. like (at least similar):

pivot_root: file not found.
kernel panic: attempted to kill init!

This is what has been reported and worked around today for a
similar case:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/05/msg03728.html

It would be nice, if the "simple, dirty fix" would not be
necessary in future versions :-)  Nevertheless, I'll ask my
colleague to try it out ASAP.

Cheers, WB