Found it.

/lib/debian-installer.d/S25env2debconf runs env2debconf from
rootskel, which already tries to load the frontend module (i.e., check
DEBIAN_FRONTEND, fallback to /etc/cdebconf.conf defaults (newt), export
DEBIAN_FRONTEND).  So when S50frontend is run, it falls through as
a no-op since that script checks for -z $DEBIAN_FRONTEND.

One way to fix this would be to rename S50frontend such that it
runs before S25env2debconf.  However, this smells fishy since
IMO S25env2debconf shouldn't try to load the frontend module in the
first place, should it?

Comments?
--
CYa,