Martin Stiaszny wrote:
> How does one determine this, and how does one prevent it?  Moreover, why
> would these hardware watchdogs feel the need to incessantly reboot my
> machine?

Because the modules are apparently coded such that they expect a
watchdog process to let them know it's alive periodically, even if the
watchdog has not started yet. IMHO it would be more sane to not reboot
the machine until they've heard from the watchdog process at least
once..

> Isn't that a bug too?  (you're probably right - I can't
> imagine a kernel that unstable would even end up in "testing")
>
> Also, I noticed that the new kernel/install puts my tty console into a
> very unwholesome mode.  It would be nice if it would just leave it at
> the standard 25 x 80.

All thanks to the new hotplug probably. Move /etc/rcS.d/S40hotplug out
of that dirctory, reboot. See if the machine reboots. If it doesn't, then
manually start hotplug (/etc/init.d/hotplug start). If it then reboots,
then file a bug on hotplug, work out the module that's causing the
reboot, and add it to /etc/hotplug/blacklist.

The other possibility to load the module is discover1, but I'd bet on
hotplug.

--
see shy jo