On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 09:51:31PM -0400, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> Package: installation-reports
>
> Debian-installer-version: rc1
> uname -a: nil
> Date: Wed, Aug 11, 2004
> Method: Netbooted netwinder from tftp
>
> Machine: corel netwinder
> Processor: intel sa110
> Memory: 64m
> Root Device: /dev/hda
> Root Size/partition table:
>       /dev/hda1       20M     ext2r0
>       /dev/hda2       2G      ext3
>       /dev/hda3       swap
> Output of lspci:
> ..
>
> Base System Installation Checklist:
>
> Initial boot worked:    [O]
> Configure network HW:   [O]
> Config network:         [O]
> Detect CD:              [O]
> Load installer modules: [O]
> Detect hard drives:     [O]
> Partition hard drives:  [O]
> Create file systems:    [O]
> Mount partitions:       [O]
> Install base system:    [E]
> Install boot loader:    [ ]
> Reboot:                 [O]
> [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
>
> Comments/Problems:
>
> Installer installed riscstation kernel on my netwinder. As a result the
> machine did not come back after reboot.
>
> Also, if a /boot partition exists, could the vmlinuz symlink be put in /boot?
>
> Due to the way the netwinder firmware works, it looks for a file on a
> partition, following symlinks. Since the vmlinuz symlink is on / it's useless
> because it's looking with /boot as it's base.
>
> Since the firmware can't mount >ext2r0, it would be better if this was enforced more
> strictly, you almost certainly need a /boot partition.

you don't have a boot loader, and thus use nobootloader to tell you the kernel
and stuff ?

Can you try the daily builds, a see if the new nobootloader with explicit
/boot partition mention makes sense for you.

Someone could even add explicit firmware instuctions, like it is done in the
powerpc/chrp_pegasos case.

But i agree that you probably need link_in_boot to be set.

Friendly,

Sven Luther