While trying to find a solution to bug #265161 , I tried to do the
following:

We have an original Select template with:

countrychooser/country-name-shortlist
__Choices: ${SHORLIST}, other

In all translations, ${SHORTLIST} is "translated" to
"${SHORTLIST_TRANSLATED}"

Thus, in the resulting templates file, we have:

Choices: ${SHORTLIST}, other
.../...
Choices-fr.UTF-8: ${SHORTLIST_TRANSLATED}, Autre
.../...
Choices-nl.UTF-8: ${SHORTLIST_TRANSLATED}, Andere
.../...

Then in the countrychooser postinst script, SHORTLIST is built with
the English values and SHORTLIST_TRANSLATED is built with translated
values in the currently used language.

(don't look in *current* postinst of trunk where only SHORLIST is
built and contains translated values)

SHORTLIST and SHORTLIST_TRANSLATED have always the same number of
choices.

Finally, in the script, I do:

db_subst countrychooser/country-name-shortlist SHORTLIST "${SHORTLIST}"
db_subst countrychooser/country-name-shortlist SHORTLIST_TRANSLATED
"${SHORTLIST_TRANSLATED}"

The original idea is showing to the user the translated values while
the *real* values are English values.

However, all I get showed are English values...:-(. THis means that
only SHORTLIST is substituted.

Do you think (mostly asked to Joey as our reference to debconf) that
such thing is possible?