Frans Pop wrote:
> I've prepared a patch for anna that will check if there are any udebs in the
> available packages list suitable for the running kernel version.
> My goal was to allow the user to select another mirror if no valid udebs have
> been found.
>
> I think this patch will also require the addition of a dialog for the
> retrievers to handle the new 'kernel_version' error situation.
>
> Please check very carefully as my knowledge of both anna and C is very
> limited :-(

The C looks ok. How this would interoperate with a retreiver to do
something sensible for the user I'm not so sure of. With the current
patch, the net retreiver will incorrectly claim in this case that
downloading a file failed, and let the user choose a new mirror, but
possibly without the ability to change the suite, depending on debconf
priority.

The patch also bends the retreiver error handling spec, which really
does not let random things be passed back in the failing_command
parameter, but only expect actual retreiver commands there.

I'd be inclined to not deal with this via retreiver error handling,
since it's really not a failure to retreive a file at all. Just make
anna display its own error message, which can explain more clearly that
there's probably a kernel mismatch, and then have anna fail, so the user
will get to the main menu and can change their mirror and suite settings
manually.

--
see shy jo