On Monday 13 December 2004 17:17, David Bruce wrote:
> I just did a new installation with the sarge-i386-netinst.iso and was
> generally very impressed, particularly with the support for LVM and
> software RAID.  My box used to have Windows 98 on hda and Debian on
> hdb, until hdb died an abrupt hardware death (but I had backups).
> Having read that the latest debian-installer supported RAID and LVM,
> I decided to venture into these realms and purchased two spiffy new
> 160GB IDE drives.  I set up my new system as follows:
>
> hda: new 160BG drive:
> hda1 128MB /boot
> hda3 5GB vfat area for Windows backup
> hda4 1GB swap
> hda5 120GB area for RAID/LVM
> rest of hda - empty
>
> hdb: original Windows98 hd, not modified
>
> hdc: new 160GB drive partitioned exactly like hda
>
> hdd:CDR/CDROM
>
> I made hda5 and hdc5 into a RAID-1 device, used this as a physical
> volume for a LVM volume group, and then doled out various logical
> volumes for the Debian install, which went without a hitch - very
> impressive!
>
> Now, the only negative/constructive feedback: the installer detected
> the Windows installation on hdb and created a corresponding entry in
> the grub menu.lst, but it didn't work, because it failed to take into
> account the inability of Windows to boot from anything other than the
> first disk. I fixed this by adding the following lines in the
> installer-generated Windows boot stanza:
>
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> map (hd1) (hd0)
>
> and everything works perfectly.
>
> I think that the installer should automatically put in lines to do
> this remappiing whenever it finds a Windows installation on a disk
> other than hda (or hd0, in grub-speak).

You should submit this as an installation report
<http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template> if
you haven't done so already. Otherwise, your suggestions could soon be
forgotten. It is much easier for the developers to track issues when
they are placed in the BTS.
--
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Frederik+Dannemare