On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 11:23:00PM -0500, Raylynn Knight wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 14:01, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > even with the "expert26" option i can't omit the installation of the
> > > kernel. if it possible to omit the kernel installation in an other way?
> > > Should the installer not allow to install without a kernel, wich make
> > > sense for an uml system or better for me?
> >
> > Not installing the kernel is not currently supported. You could hack a
> > base-installer so that it don't installs a kernel though.
> >
> This is why the new installer is broken for many users!!  I have an
> unsupported architecture (Nubus PPC).  I had no problem installing with

He, nice, i never heard of this actually working.

> the woody installer, I just created a kernel with the ramdisk.image.gz
> from the woody CD, booted and installed.  I can attempt this with the
> new debian installer but the install fails because it can't load a
> kernel.  Loading the kernel will never do me any good, because the only
> way to boot a Nubus PPC box is via the MkLinux booter from a MacOs
> partition. So in order to use sarge I must first install woody and then
> do a dist-upgrade. Extra work just because the new installer insists on
> installing a kernel.

Well, you are aware that the right thing would be to fix the kernel to work
for you. Are you aware of the differences between the nubus-kernel and the
main kernel ? Is it totally impossible to reunite them ?

Ideally, you would create a nubus patch, and then build your own kernel
package (a bit like the -apus kernels are done), and then we can fix
base-installer and archdetect to recognize the nubus pmacs, and install that
kernel, and specialize nobootloader so that it tells the user what to do to
get the kernel working.

I would gladly assist you in that task, but i need your help, since you are
the first one i ever knew which runs nubus hardware. What i need from you is :

  1) The content of /proc/cpuinfo, in order to fix archdetect to recognize the
  nubus pmacs. If there is nothing about it in /proc/cpuinfo, then another way
  of recognizing the nubus pmacs.

  2) What kernel are you using, and what configuration file. I will try to
  make a kernel package of it. Ideal would be to either use a 2.4.27 or 2.6.8
  based kernel, but i have the suspision that the nubus pmacs only run with
  the mklinux kernels, right ?

Well, other stuff too, i guess, but let's start with that.

Obviously, the other way to work around this, is to create a dummy kernel
package that you can then chose to install, but let's do the right fix first.

Friendly,

Sven Luther