Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Christian Perrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Indeed, the code in localechooser that decides to display one or
> > another set of languages is pretty incomplete. It decides this based
> > on assumptions about the display but these are probably incomplete:
>
> The console in this case should be a standard Linux console on
> framebuffer, but I guess that it's not /that/ standard after
> all. Maybe Thiemo can tell us more about that ?

It is not at all a standard framebuffer. The hardware allows no direct
memory access but provides userspace-driven DMA capability instead.
The X server uses the userland DMA for a while now, but the kernel
uses a special "newport" console which is rather inefficient.

> The console groks at least latin1, btw. Could it be that the console
> lacks UTF8 support ?

That's possible, I don't know the newport code by heart.

Thiemo