On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 03:40:34PM +0300, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 10:29:36AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > No, this goes beyond "it is not necessary", this is a "you should not".
> > Unless you wish to use the disk with one of these operating systems, your
> > third partition should *not* be configured as a "whole disk" partition, as
> > this renders the disk incompatible with the tools used to make disks
> > bootable with aboot.  This means that the disk configured by the installer
> > for use as the Debian boot disk will be inaccessible to $those_OSes.

> What about writing the msgid like this:

> If you want to use Tru64 Unix or one of the free 4.4BSD-Lite operating
> systems (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, or NetBSD) on this same disk, the third
> partition must be created as a <quote>whole disk</quote> partition
> (i.e. with start and end sectors to span the whole disk). The third
> partition should not be a whole disk partition if none of these
> other operating systems are on the disk, as it renders the disk
> incompatible with the tools used to make it bootable with
> aboot. Normal third partition means that the disk configured by the
         ^^^^^^

Looks good, except for this word.  The average user isn't going to know
which partitioning scheme is the one you're claiming is "normal", and the
experienced user may disagree. :)

> installer for use as the Debian boot disk will be inaccessible to the
> operating systems mentioned earlier.

Also, I'm not sure that partman is able to *create* overlapping partitions,
is it?  That means you can only share a disk with the other Unices if it's
prepartitioned or if you add the full-disk slice later with a different
tool.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   http://www.debian.org/