Let me preface my information below by
saying that while I was trying different
things, I found that if I don't set the
framebuffer to false, I never see the
kernel panic.  The system locks up tight
with a gray bar (row) at the bottom of a
blue screen.  If I do set the frame buffer
to false, I can switch consoles when the
system appears to hang (black row at the
bottom of a blue screen) before I get the
kernel panic message.

I booted the CD using the following at
the boot prompt:
expert noapci nolapci apcpi=off

I choose language, country, en_US.UTF-8,
no additional locales, PC-style keyboard,
and American English keymap.  I then get
the "Detect and mount CD-ROM", the next
screen shows 28 kernel modules that were
detected, then the "Detecting hardware..."
progress bar completes and a window pops
up asking "Start PC Card services?".  I
tab to 'No' and hit Enter.

At this point the machine locks up.  I
can't switch to another console.  I don't
get a kernel panic this time.  The system
just totally locks up.  I tried both CD#1
and the NETINST CD and got the same results
with both.

On the 28 kernel modules that were detected,
there was floppy, USB, isofs, and the rest
all have to do with IDE.  They are:
via82cxxx
trm290
triflex