On Wednesday 17 January 2007 16:36, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have no other connections at this time  so I did not add any other
> but the CDROM

OK. That makes the explanation simple: the CD that you have got probably
just does not have any of the packages needed to install a graphical
desktop environment included, or at least is missing some essential
packages.

You will need to add a network mirror in order to be able to install the
desktop environment.

> > What do you get if you type 'cat /etc/apt/sources/list' at the
> > command prompt?
>
> No such file or  directory

Sorry, that should have been /etc/apt/sources.list.

> Their are 24 packages in the installed list  including GNOME and X 11
> no KDE. Their are 33 packages in the NOT INSTALLED  LIST including
> GNOME ,KDE and X11. This does not make sense  that the same ones are
> listed in the installed and the uninstalled list.

I think you are looking at categories, not packages...

Please ask for any further help on the debian-user mailing list [1]. What
you are seeing is not an installation problem. At most the problem is a
broken CD image.

Good luck completing your installation.

Cheers,
FJP