Samuel Thibault wrote:
Attilio Fiandrotti, le Wed 14 Feb 2007 13:43:15 +0100, a écrit :

Samuel Thibault wrote:

Frans Pop, le Wed 14 Feb 2007 04:10:31 +0100, a écrit :

During the World Free Software Conference 3.0 (that bubulle, tbm and I attended in Extremadura last week) I spoke with Willie Walker who works for Sun on Accessibility and Speech.

Willie is the lead man behind ORCA [1], which works with GTK and could thus possibly be integrated in the graphical installer.

One good thing of this would be to have speech accessibility without the
need for having a speakup-patched kernel (though that would be useful
too).

I just installed ORCA (actually i wasn't able to test it because it crashed), but already during the installation process i become worried about the many dependancies orca brings in. It depends, roughly, from python, parts of the gnome desktop and other auxiliary libraries, and actually none of trem is already available in the d-i (they would take some additional megs on the installer ISO). I'd like also to point out that the graphical installer is pure GTK+, no GNOME components are present inthe instaler: would ORCA still apply in such an environment?

Orca peeks information from GTK+ widgets via atk, gnome is not involved
here.

I was referring to those libgnome-speech3 and python-gnome2 dependancies, which in turn bring in other packages part of gnome: are they really required or it's possible accessing directly lower level libraries like festival ?

regards

Attilio