On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 07:12:22PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 22 May 2008 16:50:59 Josef Wolf wrote:
> > But wasn't ppp originally intended to connect multiple networks?  In
> > this (IMHO _very_ common) scenario you would always have at least two
> > interfaces: ppp to the provider and a statically configured interface
> > to the local network.  Further, you would probably provide DHCP/DNS
> > servers (e.g. via dnsmasq) for the local network.  This gives the
> > setup I mentioned above.
> >
> > I don't see the point in having ppp as your one and only interface.
> > Is this scenario really _that_ common?  Who would want to use such
> > a setup?
>
> D-I is not responsible for such setups. It does not do such setups for
> systems with two "normal" NICs that are used as bridge, router or Internet
> gateway, and I don't see why it should do anything special for PPPoE.
>
> D-I sets the system up for use with a single NIC. Any other config ATM is up
> to the sysadmin after the installation has completed. And, as said before,
> I see no reason to do things differently for ppp-udeb than we do for
> netcfg.
>
> The current settings are a rather careful compromise between different
> needs. Changing them would require a lot of care.

Yes, I see...  I did not know that multiple NICs are out of d-i's scope.

I simply felt I have to bring this problem into attention because it
was a result of a thread that was started by me, and I felt some sort of
responsibility for this problem.

BTW: In the special case described above, a simple workaround is
available: use dnsmasq's "no-hosts" and "addn-hosts" options (this is
what I actually did).  But I have no idea what could go wrong in other
setups (I am not exactly a network expert).