Hi -

> [...]
> > If we use systemtap-sdt-dev's sys/sdt.h, do we at least get something
> > that might be functional?
>
> I guess we will get better integration with GDB at the expense of no
> integration with the kernel.
>
> Hopefully Mark can elaborate on this.

In the normal Linux case, it's particularly attractive because glibc
(ld.so) and gdb have a little romance going, using sys/sdt.h as a
love-note messenger.  One offspring of this capability is
much-accelerated handling of target shared libraries in gdb.  Other
cuddlesome cousins would be gdb breakpoint-attachment to other apps
compiled against systemtap-style sdt.h.

Some of these may enchant debian/kfreebsd too.

Perhaps the way to resolve this confusing concubinage would be to have
each sdt.h-instrumented app choose, via the equivalent of RPM
BuildRequire:, between the competing sys/sdt.h suitors at build time.
Tragically, she can choose only one.  (In principle, an ELF executable
could include both types of instrumentation, so technological trigamy
may become possible in the future.)

For run-time dependencies/installation, the CDDL dtrace would be fine.
The systemtap sys/sdt.h code will have left his scratch in the
binaries for gdb to enjoy.

HTH, till death do us 'part, amen.

- FChE