Hello,

(please make sure to use debian-bsd@lists.debian.org for
these kinds of questions/discussion)

pdb wrote:
> i would like to know if i can install GNU/KFreeBSD on my Sun Microsystems
> X2200 M2 AMD 64 bit Quad Core 2.3 Ghz

I would really like one of those myself!

It should be a good choice for running kfreebsd-amd64, but there are two
important things to check:

  * Ethernet chipset

Earlier Sun Fire (v20z) used a Broadcom chipset requiring non-free
microcode, that means the FreeBSD kernel supports it but the (free
software) Debian kernel does not.  I think the X2200 M2 has the same.

That would make it difficult to install kfreebsd.  A good solution is to
install an Intel PCIe dual/quad Gigabit NIC and use that instead of the
built-in Ethernet ports (this is not so expensive).

  * SATA/RAID chipset

This server sometimes comes with an LSI SAS/SATA RAID controller (PCIe
card), which should be okay (but you have to configure RAID via the
BIOS, you would not be able to reconfigure that within kfreebsd).

Otherwise, the server may only come with onboard NVIDIA SATA, and I
don't know how well that works with kfreebsd (probably okay).

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
ste...@pyro.eu.org