On Thursday 26 November 2009, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:17:07PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > Do you really think that having "AMD64", "Intel x86" and "Intel IA-64"
> > instead of amd64, i386, ia64 will make people magically choose AMD64
> > if they're looking for 64-bit Intel support?
>
> I hadn't realised that Simon had made this change.  That was the whole
> _point_.  Put the popular architectures first, and call them something
> meaningful, ie:
>
> [x86 32-bit] [x86 64-bit] [PowerPC]

Changing things this way still does not make it fit in the current layout
of the page and will still reduce readability (IMO).

Also, making this change *only* for the image links is IMO not a good idea
because it just introduces yet another identification for architectures.
We already use too many different names and descriptions in different
places.

> Why should users have to learn what Debian's internal name for their
> architecture is?

Because that is what they see/need when they look at the sources.list or
package names?

> I have no objection to changing the layout.

I would prefer a full redesign over just changing the layout. The current
pages are problematic exactly because they try to fit everything on a
single page and thus allow little room for explanation.
But OTOH that's also their great strength for users who *do* know what they
want, so solving the issue by linking to separate page(s) that add a good
explanation of what's what is still an option too.

An alternative could be to have a single page per release per architecture.
Such pages would allow for much more information about the architecture
(including links to related architectures) and more information about the
different images.